Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Sunday Slump

I definitely think weekends will be hardest posts to stick with. Those are my running around days, especially Sunday, and I don't usually turn the computer on, let alone do all that pesky thinking about stuff.

Scanning through my enormous list of writers' blogs, looking for inspiration or an interesting article to link to, Anna Genoese (editor, and co-author of Salt and Silver) had some neat points to make about editing--three main questions, 1. can you tighten it up, 2. what story are you telling, and 3. who's your audience, really--but maybe I'm too tired at this point to say much more than that.

It's been a really long day. And I'm already tired thinking about having to get up tomorrow.

I also visited Carrie Vaughn's blog. She has a recent post about going on a ride-along with a police officer. This was almost startling in its helpfulness, because I have, on a handful of occasions in the past, wondered how some writers keep the police procedures in their books authentic if they don't personally know a cop or have a friend who knows a cop. Ride-alongs seemed like something only a well-known writer (or previously mentioned 'person with connections') could achieve. And although the police officer with whom Vaughn went on the ride-along is a friend, according to the post, I was caught by the last paragraph--that police departments usually have a ride-along program and/or "civilian academies," where one can learn about actual procedure.

That seems, in one way, pretty common sensical (is that word? it is now either way ;) ), and I like to think I have a healthy dose of common sense, but at the same time, it had never occurred to me that police departments would have something like that already in place.

Well, there are my two [sleepy] cents for Sunday. I hope to bring you something more coherent tomorrow.

Happy writing,
Sabrina

No comments: