Sunday, October 18, 2009

Brief Weekend Post the Second

Ironic Sans is a blog that I've known about for a number of years now, but visit only on occasion. I don't know why. Every time I stop by I run into interesting articles that teach me things I didn't know, and sometimes really wanted to.

As a senior undergraduate in the psychology program, I was required to do at least three credits worth of directed research with one of the psych professors. I asked Edward Chronicle, because I loved his Cognitive Psychology course. After a face-to-face meeting, he agree, and I was one of three undergraduates working with him and his graduate student. One, a PhD candidate, was studying migraines, and one of our tasks was to post flyers around campus. He was conducting research and needed people who had migraines with auras.


Professor Chronicle died about a year after that, but I still think about that semester of research, how much I enjoyed working with those people, and wondering how their research progressed.

Just a little while ago, I took a jaunt through some favorite websites that I hadn't visited much recently, and there was this post on Ironic Sans about aura migraines, and the blogger, David's, strange experience. He usually has the auras, but this time, it included typing gibberish, which hadn't happened to him before.

It was interesting to read his description of the auras, and commenters' additions on various migraine symptons.

Part of me wonders whether there isn't a story there, about someone who sees migraine auras, but rather than being a precursor to a migraine, it indicates something else. (Something magical, mysterious, or preternatural, because that's where my fanytasy head goes.)


It's a very warm Sunday, and I feel like I've been running around all day, even if I haven't. But read and enjoy, and I'll see you all tomorrow.

Happy writing.

(Note: the picture is a piece of art depicting visual phenomena experienced by migraine sufferers, from the slideshow David links to. Here also is the link to the sideshow. These paintings are pretty intriguing.)

No comments: