Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Two Pieces of Good Advice: Do Research and Wear Sunscreen

"Wear Sunscreen" is a song/rap/spoken word poem set to music, which I heartedly enjoyed when it came out. In college, a friend made me a cd of awesome songs, mostly from the 90s, and included this one.

Today, there is a new version out, courtesy of author Seanan McGuire: Do Research.

For the writers out there, it is an adaptation filled with advice, both concrete ("Get plenty of sleep. Be kind to your wrists, you'll miss them when they're gone," and "Stretch") and more abstract or hard-to-quantify ("Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to correct your spelling through interpretive dance," and "Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to spend your life writing").

It's a great way to start the day (my opinion, but I'm not the only one who thinks so, according to the comment stream). It's just great fun, and I suggest anyone who needs a smile clikcing over there and giving it a read. It has the same feel to the original, plucking at my emotions when she writes "Do not read Amazon reviews, they will only make you feel ugly," even though I haven't published anything yet for this to be an issue.

Still. It's good advice. Go. Read. Enjoy.
~Sabrina


Seanan McGuire is the author of "Rosemary and Rue," and "A Local Habitation" (urban fantasy, starring a changeling who has lost everything). Under her pseudonym, Mira Grant, she has a political zombie apocalyse, "Feed," in stores now.

2 comments:

jjdebenedictis said...

The line from the original that still resonates with me is, "The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself."

This is a great mindset for so much in life. It isn't about where everyone else is at relative to you--it's about where you are at. Just you. Is it a good place? Then don't worry about the neighbours.

Sabrina Favors said...

That is a good line. I also like the one about not feeling guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life, "some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know, still don't." Even though I know I want to be a writer (hopefully published), I still find this very comforting.

I think some of the lines I like best in the writer version are the ones kept the same, but in this new context they still work (in exactly the way I read them in the original).