Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Middle of National Library Week


Does this picture not fill you with bubbling delight?

I wish every library was like this. This week is National Library Week, so I thought it only right to take a bit of time and gush about my local library.

I've lived in this town for many years now, and our library isn't the biggest around, but I can usually find something to read that I haven't before. In more recent years, I haven't gone as often as I want--not the least of which is because I own plenty of books that I haven't read yet, and I really shouldn't add to that TBR pile with more books--but the past few months I started up again, every three weeks or so (the length of time we can borrow books here).

Library-related tangent: Before moving to this town, we were in military housing for four years, and there was a small library there as well. I think in some ways, I was too young to know what I wanted and the shelves, which seemed so tall and full, were overwhelming. I didn't know what to pick in the children's section and thought the best thing to do would be to wander over to the adult books. I ended up in non-fiction, pulling out a book on spiders. It became the book I grabbed whenever I didn't know what else to get. I might have read a few pages here and there, but mostly I looked at the pictures. That library was also a part of a community center, but my siblings and I were apparently too young to play pool. :(
/tangent


It happens with enough frequency to be a pleasant surprise that isn't entirely surprising, that my local library gets new releases shortly after their release.

That right there is what I think libraries have the most to offer--I am a bookwhore, a bookhoarder, and a packrat in general. Sure, I find new series in the library, and am compelled to buy the rest because they don't have the other books, but more times than not, books I want to read, but dread spending the hardcover price (may YA fantasy titles fall into this category), suddenly appear in the new fiction shelf. Then I do my little happy dance in my head, throw in a ~happy wiggle~ and a cheesy grin when I head to the circulation desk.

These are the days when I love love LOVE the invention of libraries.


Hug a book, people,
Sabrina

2 comments:

Jennifer Ambrose said...

I love libraries! Those were some gorgeous pictures, too. Libraries just make me happy--all those books!

I'm less excited about the spider book you mentioned. Don't think I could have handled that one. But still it's a great example of how you can discover something unexpected in a library, something you weren't even looking for that becomes important to you.

Sabrina Favors said...

That book and the Shel Silverstein ones are the one books I can specifically remember from that library. Weirdly enough, I don't much care for spiders one way or the other (unless they're on my stuff >.< ). I don't really know what drew me to it, among all the other nonfiction books on the shelves and all the children's books.