Thursday, September 25, 2008

An update, finally

Sorry I've been away so long, life took up a lot of time. Even this should be a short one, because I have to leave for class in an hour and I still have to get my things ready.

So final count of that week off I swiped way back when: approximately 14,000. Actually just a little under. And it's not all staying because I sort of rewrote part of one scene to see which way was better, but the second version is shorter, so it's not a painful loss of word count.

I wish I had a little more time to write, frankly. And I had a mini-epiphany last night. I keep telling myself I need to make time, but I think it finally sank in last night. I -need- to force myself to come home from work and school and just write for at least an hour. And yes, I'm exhausted when I get home from work, and yes, I'm tired when I get home from class after 9;30 pm, but if I don't start something at those times, I'll try to rely on the weekends, which never works out because those are my homework and running around days, unless I have to work and then it feels like work eats up the entire Saturday (it doesn't, but again, I get home exhausted) and both homework and running around are relegated to Sunday.

It's a bit strange. I have the committment to write a novel-length book--I've done it twice before--but I find the committment to making the time horribly difficult.

Just gotta keep chugging along, though.

In other news, work is kicking my butt, especially since I'm still only part-time and only come in two or three days a week. Also kicking my butt, but in a more pleasant way, is school. At university right now, we're having a symposium on folktales and fairytales: translation, colonialism and cinema. There's a panel discussion at 1:30 today, but I have class right at that time, so I can't go, but there are three other events I wanna get to today.

The symposium has been really fun, even with leaving my house early and getting home rather late everyday.

Speaking of, I have class and a symposium to get ready for. I'll try not to be gone so long next time.

Happy writing!

2 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

So long as you make regular time to write throughout the week (even if it is not daily) you'll continue to make progress.

It's difficult to work full time and go to school, let alone get the writing time in.

Sabrina Favors said...

Yeah, and I even feel like I'm not doing as much work as some students I know (full-time, my goodness, when do they sleep?). I console myself by saying to each their own, or something to that effect.

I've been trying to write on the bus--it's 1 and a half hours to two hours, fairly uninterrupted. So I'm making a bit of progress. Progress makes me happy.